Phentermine can be prescribed for patients suffering from hypertension to treat overweight and obesity. However, its use requires caution and constant monitoring of blood pressure.
It is established that Phentermine can significantly increase blood pressure, frequency of heartbeats and respiratory movements along with effective appetite decrease.
Use of Phentermine by patients suffering from uncontrolled hypertension or having arrhythmia can worsen their general condition and provoke development of a hypertensive crisis.
Therefore, anti-obesity drug Phentermine is not recommended for patients with moderate-to-severe high blood pressure, as well as in severe pulmonary hypertension.
Each hypertensive patient reacts differently to Phentermine. Typically, use of this anti-obesity drug in the recommended dosing regimen is well tolerated.
Studies have shown that combined use of Phentermine with antihypertensive drugs does not cause any clinically significant drug interaction.
Antihypertensives as a part of anti-obesity therapy help to prevent high blood pressure and effectively combat overweight.
To treat hypertension, drugs of the following groups can be used:
- Furosemide (Lasix, Urex, Frusax, Diuresal, Frusid, Lasilix
- Indapamide (Lozol, Aprodip, Fludex, Natrilix, Odaplix, Tenaxil)
- Spironolactone (Aldactone, Spiractin, Spiretic, Spiroctan, Aldactazine).
Angiotensin II receptor blockers (ARBs):
- Nebivolol (Bystolic, Hypoloc, Lobivon, Nebilet, Nebilox)
- Atenolol (Tenormin, Nator, Tensig, Noten, Lotenol, Totamol)
- Propranolol (Drofate, Avlocardyl, Inderal, Deralin, Innopran, Angilol).
Calcium channel blockers (CCBs):
- Amlodipine (Amolyte, Norvasc, Amlor, Istin, Amolyte)
- Felodipine (Flodil, Cardioplen, Plendil, Cabren, Felotens)
- Verapamil (Calan, Anpec, Verelan, Isoptin, Veramil, Securon).
It is established that Phentermine has a vasopressor effect, so it may reduce effectiveness of some antihypertensive drugs.
In order to prevent negative consequences, a dose of antihypertensives listed above should be increased (provided a good tolerability).
Despite a high safety profile, Phentermine use in patients even with mild hypertension requires caution and systematic measurement of blood pressure.