What is the word obese mean?
: having excessive body fat.
What is obesity in simple words?
Obesity, also called corpulence or fatness, excessive accumulation of body fat, usually caused by the consumption of more calories than the body can use. The excess calories are then stored as fat, or adipose tissue.
What is the origin of the word obesity?
The words ‘obese’/’obesity’ come to English via French from the Latin, where the verb ‘obedere’ means ‘over eat’ and ‘obesitas’ means being very fat. These are derogatory descriptions, and the French and English terms inherit this derogatory meaning.
How do you use obese in a sentence?
- Obese patients are advised to change their diet.
- Being obese and lazy is dangerous to health.
- Obese people find it difficult to stop overeating.
- Obese patients are given dietary advice.
- She is grossly obese.
- Obese people tend to have higher blood pressure than lean people.
Who is an obese person?
A person has traditionally been considered to be obese if they are more than 20% over their ideal weight. That ideal weight must take into account the person’s height, age, sex, and build. Obesity has been more precisely defined by the National Institutes of Health (the NIH) as a BMI (Body Mass Index) of 30 and above.
What are five causes of obesity?
9 Most common causes of obesity
- Physical inactivity. …
- Overeating. …
- Genetics. …
- A diet high in simple carbohydrates. …
- Frequency of eating. …
- Medications. …
- Psychological factors. …
- Diseases such as hypothyroidism, insulin resistance, polycystic ovary syndrome, and Cushing’s syndrome are also contributors to obesity.
Can obesity be cured?
The best way to treat obesity is to eat a healthy, reduced-calorie diet and exercise regularly. To do this you should: eat a balanced, calorie-controlled diet as recommended by your GP or weight loss management health professional (such as a dietitian) join a local weight loss group.
What can prevent obesity?
Obesity prevention for adults
- Consume less “bad” fat and more “good” fat.
- Consume less processed and sugary foods.
- Eat more servings of vegetables and fruits. …
- Eat plenty of dietary fiber.
- Focus on eating low–glycemic index foods. …
- Get the family involved in your journey. …
- Engage in regular aerobic activity.
What does obesity lead to?
Obesity is serious because it is associated with poorer mental health outcomes and reduced quality of life. Obesity is also associated with the leading causes of death in the United States and worldwide, including diabetes, heart disease, stroke, and some types of cancer.
What height is obese?
She is considered obese (BMI is 30 or more) if she is closer to 174 pounds or more. A man who is 5 ft. 10 in. tall is considered overweight (BMI is 25 to 29) if he weighs between about 174 and 202 pounds, and is obese (BMI is 30 or more) if he is closer to 209 pounds or more.
What is the medical term for obesity?
Being overweight or obese are both rising medical problems. There are many detrimental health effects of obesity: Individuals with a BMI (Body Mass Index) exceeding a healthy range have a much greater risk of medical issues.
What does obese look like?
When we think of an obese person we often think of an extremely large, sagging body and a round chubby face. Images of someone sitting on a sofa, being inactive; eating fast food or drinking soda may come to mind. It might be assumed that the person is either lazy, greedy or from a lower socioeconomic group.
What is the best synonym for obese?
Synonyms & Antonyms of obese