How can I get my 10 year old to lose weight?
Your child — and the whole family — can eat healthier with a few simple steps:
- Cut back on processed and fast foods. They tend to be higher in calories and fat. …
- Don’t serve sugary drinks. Swap soda, juice, and sports drinks for water and skim or low-fat milk.
- Encourage good eating habits. …
- Make small changes.
How can I help my overweight child lose weight?
Safe Weight Loss for Overweight Kids
- Say “no” to diets and supplements. Your first impulse may be to put your child on a diet. …
- Start small. Don’t try to overhaul your family’s diet all at once. …
- Eat meals together. When you sit down as a family (and not in front of the television), you’ll encourage healthier habits.
How do I talk to my 10 year old about weight?
Here’s advice about the best ways to communicate with children about weight and support their health.
- Don’t tease — and try to put a stop to others’ teasing.
- Promote positive self-image, instead of focusing on weight.
- Don’t put your child on a diet.
- Instead, choose, as a family, to eat healthfully year-round.
Why is my 10 year old gaining weight?
The most common reason children are overweight or obese is from eating too many calories for the amount of play or exercise they are doing. If a change in a child’s weight is concerning, however, there might be some underlying issues unrelated to their diet, physical activity, or development.
How can a kid lose 10 pounds in a week?
To lose 10 pounds, a person can follow these steps.
- Follow a low-calorie diet. Share on Pinterest A low-calorie diet is recommended when trying to lose weight. …
- Avoid junk food. Junk foods are: …
- Add lean protein. Lean protein helps build muscle. …
- Move more. …
- Try high-intensity cardio. …
- Add weights. …
- Eat fewer carbs. …
- Reduce bloating.
What is a healthy diet for a 10 year old?
A healthy, balanced diet for children aged 7 to 10 should include: at least 5 portions of a variety of fruit and vegetables every day. meals based on starchy foods, such as potatoes, bread, pasta and rice (choose wholegrain varieties when possible) some milk and dairy products (choose low-fat options where you can)
What do you feed an overweight child?
Aim for your child to get most of their calories from healthier foods like fruit and vegetables, and starchy foods like bread, potatoes, pasta and rice (preferably wholemeal). And switch sweetened soft drinks for water. Swap high-fat foods for these healthier alternatives.
What is considered child obesity?
If a child’s BMI is higher than 85% (85 out of 100) of other children their age and sex, they are considered at risk of being overweight. If a child’s BMI is higher than 95% (95 out of 100) of other children their age and sex, they are considered overweight or obese.
What causes a child to lose weight?
Children lose weight when they are either not getting enough calories or are burning up more calories than usual due to illness or other reasons.
Should you tell your child they are overweight?
In general, if your child is elementary age or younger and you have some weight concerns, don’t talk about it; just start making lifestyle changes as a family. The best thing you can do is make it easy for kids to eat smart and move often. Serve regular, balanced family meals and snacks.
How much weight should a 10 year old gain?
As kids grow from grade-schoolers to preteens, there continues to be a wide range of “normal” regarding height, weight, and shape. Kids tend to get taller at a pretty steady pace, growing about 2.5 inches (6 to 7 centimeters) each year. When it comes to weight, kids gain about 4–7 lbs.
Why is my 9 year old gaining weight?
A final growth spurt begins at the start of puberty, sometime between ages 9 to 15 depending on heredity and gender. Noticeable weight gain may occur prior to a growth spurt as excess fat helps promote growth. As a child goes through puberty, their stores of body fat may change.
Why does my 10 year old have a big belly?
Your granddaughter’s little belly may simply be a sign of a growth spurt or a sign that she will be starting puberty at 9 or 10, as so many young girls do these days.
How can I help my 9 year old lose weight?
7 ways to help your child lose weight
- Set realistic goals for your child. Because children are still growing, it may be a better to help them maintain rather than lose weight. …
- Encourage exercise. …
- Choose healthy and nutritious foods. …
- Change your family’s eating habits. …
- Try behavior modification techniques. …
- Follow-up with your pediatrician. …
- Be supportive.
When should I be concerned about my child’s growth?
Symptoms associated with delayed growth
If your child is smaller than other children their age, they may have a growth problem. It’s typically considered a medical issue if they’re smaller than 95 percent of children their age, and their rate of growth is slow.